There came a time when my mother began experiencing rapidly deteriorating health. She had contracted amoebic hepatitis while we were living in Peru, where she remained as a missionary. We were given no alternative but to return to the United States. Leaving Peru would prove to be one of the hardest life-changes we would ever make as a family. Being a widow in poor health, with many medical bills and hospital stays, and two small children to raise, my mother gallantly kept working and managed to purchase a home for our family. It was an older home needing updated wiring, heating and plumbing.
I remember a floor furnace in the hallway next to the kitchen. I loved standing over it in the winter time and feeling its wonderful warmth. There was also an adjustable upright furnace in the dining room with real flames, with an attached flu that led to a chimney. Neither of these would pass today’s inspection codes.
One day I was rummaging around in the attic around the chimney and discovered a number of charred slabs of wood. It was quite obvious that there had been some flames at some time in the past. On some cold, wintry night an angel of the Lord had stayed the flames and kept our house from burning to the ground!
The same angel of the Lord spared my mother’s life and she lived to the age of 96. This was such a blessing as I had begged God to let her live at least until I was sixteen! He answered my prayer above and beyond.
Return to Main Page